Spunk helped me illustrate the problem with our old kitchen sink — a large stock pot did not fit well, and when we had a standard faucet, we couldn't fill a large stock pot directly.
I gave Laurie a new, black kitchen sink for Christmas. We had been looking at large sinks for the past 3 years, but we had put off getting a new sink to go to Paris, and then vet and dental bills have been cutting into our sink budget more recently. The sink we liked the best was well over $1000, but now it is not available, and similar sinks cost even more. I'd stopped by the Habitat for Humanity's Restore occasionally to look for sinks over the past couple of years, but I hadn't found any I liked until last week. They had the black sink I gave Laurie for Christmas, which is not as wide as the sink we were originally looking at, but it had large enough bowls to fit our 16 and 22 quart stock pots, 16 inch skillet, and large mixing bowls, so it was a good compromise at an unbeatable price.
Installing the new sink was fraught with problems, as always seems to be the case with DIY plumbing. The first issue was there were no shut-offs for the water to the kitchen sink. I was thinking there was, but the only shut-off was in the water line for a dishwasher. My first trip to Lowe's was to get shut-offs, and maybe a new faucet that we looked up on Lowe's website and it reported the one we liked was "in-stock". I headed out under mostly sunny skies, but very cold temperatures. Lowe's didn't have the standard in-line shut-offs like I installed in the water lines in the bathroom when I remodeled it back in 2012. They didn't have the faucet either. I got what I thought would be good solution, but then while messing around with the water lines under the sink, I cracked a joint and a light stream of water was spraying in the cabinet, so now I had to cut the pipe much lower than anticipated, so the shut-offs I got wouldn't work.
I ordered the faucet Lowe's didn't really have "in-stock" from Amazon because it was $30 less and with prime shipping I'll get it much sooner than if I had ordered it from Lowe's website. I then left for my second trip to Lowe's to return the shut-offs, and get parts to replace the cracked joint. The sky had become overcast and threatening to snow, and by the time I got back with the parts, a light snow had started falling. I put the new lines together with shut-offs on one end and elbow joints on the other, walked out to the pump house and turned off the water to the house. There was a light dusting of snow on the ground.
I sawed through the water lines under the sink, connected the new lines with shut offs, and secured them to the wall under the sink. I walked back out to the pump house through a quarter inch of snow and turned the water on. I walked back in and discovered a leak around the threads of one of the shut-offs. After tightening it down as far as I could, it was still dripping, so I yelled about the sorry quality of parts, and trudged back out to the pump house, turned off the water, trudged back in and found a rubber washer to put in the sorry shut-off. After tightening the shut-off back on with the rubber washer, I trudged back out to the pump house through about a half inch of snow, turned the water back on, and trudged back inside — success! No leaks.
Next I removed the old sink. When I pushed in the plastic clips to remove the sprayer hose where it was connected to the faucet, the plastic clips broke. I removed the faucet and set it aside while I cut out the countertop to enlarge the hole for the new sink, installed the baskets and drain pipes on the new sink, and put the new sink into the enlarged hole in the countertop and lined up the drain pipes. Now I had to figure out how to secure the sprayer hose onto the faucet or plug the connection. With faucet and sprayer hose in hand, I made my third trip to Lowe's on slushy streets that were starting to freeze to see if, by chance, they had the part I needed or a new sprayer hose that would clip onto the faucet. Of course they had neither, but the plumbing associate who was helping me took a close look at the connection and he suggested a zip-tie might hold it in place. I looked at it, agreed with his assessment, and headed back home.
The zip-tie did indeed secure the sprayer hose to the faucet after I put the faucet in the sink. I set the sink into the hole in the countertop, connected the drains and water, turned on the shut-offs, checked for leaks (none), turned on the hot and cold water, ran water through the drain and checked for leaks (none), grabbed the 22 quart stock pot, called Spunk, and photographed the solution to the dilemma of filling and washing large stock pots and other large pots and pans — a big, black kitchen sink.
Washing large stock pots, 16 inch skillets, large mixing bowls, etc. was difficult in the old sink and we usually ended up as wet as the things we washed.
Laurie got this photo of me cutting out the hole in the countertop so the new sink would fit.
Spunk helping demonstrate the solution to the dilemma of washing large pots and pans — a sink with larger and deeper bowls.
Now we can wash our large pots and pans without getting ourselves as wet.